Community connectors allow anyone to build a pipeline for their data into Data Studio. There are well over 100 connectors available in the connector gallery allowing access to a wide variety of data sources from Facebook Insights to MailChimp to data.world.
In addition to the “Partner Connectors”, built and maintained by Data Studio partner companies, the Data Studio team maintains an open source repository of community connectors. This repository allows anyone to contribute connectors for free and open use.
The published list of open source connectors includes Kaggle, Spotify, and Google Fit among others. We have contributed the Star Wars API connector that we built and featured in our blog post, Data Studio Connectors from a Galaxy Far, Far Away.
We have also submitted connectors for weather forecasts from OpenWeatherAPI, New York Times top stories, Bay Area Rapid Transit schedules, NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day, and the location of the International Space Station. And there will be more to come!
Using Open Source Community Connectors in Data Studio
Accessing the open source connectors in Data Studio is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Create a new Data Source.
- Scroll down to the Open Source Connectors section.
- Select a connector and follow the authorization and configuration prompts.
Example: SFO Passenger Statistics
Here’s a report we created using the SFO Passenger Statistics connector looking at the increase of passengers between 2007 and 2017 by airline:
This is an activity report on the open source community connector repository built using the open source community connector for GitHub.
Contributing to the community
Would you like to build your own community connector? Visit the developer documentation to get started.
Are there any data sources that you would like to see available as community connectors? Let us know in the comments below!
Other posts in our 2018 edition 12 Days of Data Studio series:
1. ClickInsight Data Viz Gallery
2. Comparing Multiple GA Segments on a Chart in Data Studio
3. Exporting to PDF from Data Studio
4. Using Bookmarks Links in Data Studio
5. Keyboard Shortcuts for Data Studio
6. Creating Heat Maps in Google Data Studio
7. Using Charts as Interactive Filters in Data Studio
8. Creating Diverging Bar Charts in Data Studio
9. Creating Thumbnail Images of Data Studio Reports
10. Embedding URLs in Data Studio
11. Open Source Community Connectors for Data Studio (this post)
12. Create Custom Charts with Data Studio Community Visualizations