Think back to the last creative brief you wrote.
How much of it was fresh, honest and “meaty”?
Was is useful and did it deliver bull’s-eye creative?
Did someone ever teach you how to write a creative brief or explain the role it plays in bridging the gap between your marketing strategy and the creative?
Too often creative briefs are:
- Glossed over
- Copied and pasted from previous versions
(sorry I let the cat out of the bag – it needed some fresh air!)
- An afterthought, with creative already in market
And at times too much reliance is put on the agency to just “get it” or fill in the missing details (after all the agency has worked on your business for a long time and has successfully executed many of creative designs and programs).
Remember the only person who is a true expert on your business is you.
- Do not assume that others will draw the same interpretation from vague, skin-deep content.
- You only get what you put into your creative briefs.
- More often than not, you will miss the mark on developing the right creative to execute your marketing strategy effectively.
There is hope in the very near horizon!
Action can be taken to turn the tables and begin to harness the potency of the misunderstood creative brief.
Check out The Canadian Marketing Association’s 2013 National Convention in Toronto next week, specifically the “Marketing that Works” Track on June 4th at 1:40pm!
You will have to decide which of the 2 brilliant sessions to attend (both sessions are at the same time):
- The Creative Brief. The most misunderstood Document in Advertising
- A Creative Brief is Called “Creative” for a Reason: A Backwards Case Study Uncovering How the Brief is the Most Potent Catalyst to Good Work.
- To understand the critical importance of the creative brief for every project (regardless of size), to learn the true nature of objectives and to learn and understand Insights.
- To learn the junk-in, junk-out principle, how to write a brief so that people read and to develop the courage to challenge the next bad brief that lands on your desk
There’s still time to register for this fantastic event! You can use one of these discount codes to save $50 off the regular price:
Member – CMANCME50
Non Member – CMANCNM50
* Perhaps consider bringing a colleague or two to help absorb the insights and teachings from both sessions…just an idea!
By acting on the insights, ideas and learnings gained, you’ll be on your way to success.
Good luck on writing your next creative brief and let us know how it goes!