Do you find yourself always crunched for time on the job?
Whether it be Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V or Ctrl+Z, chances are you are already using keyboard shortcuts to save time throughout your work day. Let’s think about the math:
- On average, shortcuts can save you 1 second per minute
- An 8 hour workday is equal 480 minutes
- A 50 work-week year is equal to 250 days, or 120,000 minutes
When you divide out the numbers, keyboard shortcuts can save you over 33 hours per year!
Data Studio is no stranger to keyboard shortcuts, either. Whether it be copying, pasting, or refreshing the data source, there are many shortcuts to take advantage of.
Basic Data Studio Shortcuts
You may already be familiar with many of the basic Data Studio shortcuts, as they can also be used in most computer programs:
|Copy||Ctrl + C||⌘+C|
|Paste||Ctrl + V||⌘+V|
|Undo||Ctrl + Z||⌘+Z|
|Redo||Ctrl + Y||⌘+Y|
|Select All||Ctrl + A||⌘+A|
|Bold||Ctrl + B||⌘+B|
|Italics||Ctrl + I||⌘+I|
|Underline||Ctrl + U||⌘+U|
Data Studio also leverages some more advanced shortcuts, in addition to some tool-specific ones:
|Group||Ctrl + G||⌘ + G|
|Ungroup||Ctrl + Shift + G||⌘ + Shift + G|
|Bring to Front||Ctrl + Shift + ↑||⌘ + Shift + ↑|
|Bring Forward||Ctrl + ↑||⌘ + ↑|
|Send to Back||Ctrl + Shift ↓||⌘ + Shift + ↓|
|Send Backward||Ctrl + ↓||⌘ + ↓|
|Refresh Data Source||Ctrl + Shift + E||⌘ + Shift + E|
In addition to the above keyboard shortcuts, Data Studio also allows you to easily copy the style of a chart, and apply it to another. Rather than manually matching the style of each chart, simply copy the style features of one chart to another:
- Copy the first chart—either right click to copy and paste, or Ctrl+C to save even more time!
- Click the chart you wish to transfer the style to; right click, and select Paste special > Paste style only
You will now have two charts with the same style, making it much easier to create visually consistent reports!
Have any Data Studio shortcuts that make your life easier? Let us know in the comments below!
Complete list of posts in our 2018 edition 12 Days of Data Studio series:
1. ClickInsight Data Viz Gallery
2. Comparing Multiple GA Segments on a Chart in Data Studio
3. Exporting to PDF from Data Studio
4. Using Bookmarks Links in Data Studio
5. Keyboard Shortcuts for Data Studio (this post)
6. Creating Heat Maps in Google Data Studio
7. Using Charts as Interactive Filters in Data Studio
8. Creating Diverging Bar Charts in Data Studio
9. Creating Thumbnail Images of Data Studio Reports
10. Embedding URLs in Data Studio
11. Open Source Community Connectors for Data Studio
12. Create Custom Charts with Data Studio Community Visualizations