So, you’ve heard the news about App+Web properties in Google Analytics and want to get started?
Well, you’ve come to the right place! If you already have Google Tag Manager (GTM) running on your website, you can get setup in a matter of minutes.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting up App+Web with GTM:
1. Create an App+Web property in Google Analytics
- From the GA Admin panel, select “Create Property”.
- In most cases, you should create your App+Web property within your existing Google Analytics account. This will make it easier to manage user permissions and account-level settings.
- If however your organization’s account hierarchy and user management is a mess and you would like to start fresh, feel free to create a new account first.
- Select “Apps and web” as the property type:
- Enter the property name and required details. Then click “Create”.
2. Create a Web data stream
- Select “Web” on the data stream setup screen
- To add more streams later, select “Data Streams” from the property-level admin panel.
- If you have multiple distinct websites (different domains, different tracking requirements), you should create a separate data stream for each. Note that there are no “views” in App+Web, only data streams and report filters.
- Enter your website URL and a name for the stream. Leave the “Enhanced measurement” defaults enabled. Click to create stream.
- From the Data Streams screen, select your web stream and copy the Measurement ID. This is analogous to the GA Tracking ID.
3. Create an App+Web configuration tag in GTM
- Add a new “Google Analytics: App+Web Configuration” tag.
- Enter the Measurement ID for your web data stream.
- Fire the tag on All Pages.
- Save your new tag. Use preview mode to confirm that it fires properly.
4. Publish your tag from GTM
After publishing your changes, look for data to start populating in the Realtime report in your new App+Web property.
That’s it! So what are you waiting for? Get your website tracking in App+Web today!
Any questions? Let us know in the comments.