*Note: As of July 20, 2018, this course is not available*
Google’s Analytics Academy is at it again, releasing its fifth free installment and first Google Tag Manager focused course.
Google Tag Manager Fundamentals covers:
- the core concepts and principles of tag management using Google Tag Manager
- how to create website tags and manage firing rules
- how to enhance your Google Analytics implementation
- how to configure other marketing tags, like Dynamic Remarketing
Registration is open until July 24th, 2015, which means that you have just 10 days left to register and complete and get the added perks like access to the course community and the opportunity to earn a certificate of completion (with a combined assessments score of 80%+).
So what did we think about the course?
- The course delivery helped make technical learning fun and interesting:
- A balanced mix of video, supporting links and hands-on interactive lessons with the Google Tag Manager V2 interface
- Varied materials and short units made it easy to stay engaged
- The hands-on-experience and exposure to GTM’s interface gives those who are new to GTM a chance to explore and experience
- Sections on integrating AdWords and Google Tag Manager by implementing AdWords conversion tracking and setting up Dynamic Remarketing:
- This is a very interesting topic and useful if you use AdWords
- Easy to follow steps were laid out, making it easier for you to try setting this up in your own Google Tag Manager account
- Analytics Academy only brushes over trigger configuration:
- An incorrect trigger configuration can vary in results from too much information being sent to Google Analytics to no information being sent at all
- There is no mention of the potential issue of using the Data Layer on dynamic or one-page sites:
- Once data is pushed to the Data Layer it is always there
- If a tag fires repeatedly it will send this data to GA over and over even if the data is no longer relevant
- The use of custom dimensions for re-marketing is interesting, however there are limitations:
- Only 20 custom dimensions are available in Google Analytics Standard
- Lack of planning the use of these in your measurement plan may limit your ability to track other important KPIs
- If you have used GTM before and are a ‘power user’, you will find that this course lacks luster as advanced topics, like blocking triggers or using some of the built-in variables to do additional tracking are not covered
If you’ve taken the Analytics Academy Google Tag Manager Fundamentals course and/or are looking for more advanced implementation, check out our Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager course. The course is designed for those who:
- Want hands-on training on how to setup, configure and customize Google Analytics within Google Tag Manager (GTM), for both websites and apps
- Have been an early adopter of GTM and now want an intensive dive into the new Version 2 interface
- Are migrating from Classic (ga.js, dc.js) to Universal Analytics and want to implement Google Tag Manager at the same time
- Want to learn how to deploy third party scripts, such as ad-tracking beacons, remarketing scripts, or even another digital analytics tool such as Adobe Analytics, using Google Tag Manager
Happy learning and do contact us if you are interested in taking your Google Tag Manager skills to the next level!