If you’ve been creating Google Analytics Remarketing lists using regular expressions and are finding that cookies are not accumulating, you are not going crazy. There is a bug. We have reported this bug to Google. A workaround is described below.
- Let’s say you want to set a remarketing cookie when people reach a hypothetical page: www.testco.com/5678.aspx
- You select “Regular Expression Type” of “Visitors who visited a specific page/section of my site (e.g. homepage, landing page, shopping cart)”
- This regular expression should work: /5678\.aspx
- If you “Get Estimate”, a value of “0” will be returned.
- Zero cookies will accumulate, although GA says there is traffic.
- Add .* to the front and back of the regex, as in: .*/5678\.aspx.*
- Check “Get Estimate” – A value other than “0” should be returned if you have traffic.
- Cookies should begin to accumulate for this list.