- Reviewed the historical use of panels in research, audience measurement and panel measurement.
- Panels provide ‘event histories’, (data that follows a given sample of individuals over time)providing longitudinal, continuous and repeated observations. They provide an increased level of estimate precision ad stability vs larger, cross-sectional surveys; repeated correlated observations provide better trending, averages, show real change
Moved from old school traditional measurement ( 500-25,000 respondents, measuring high incidence behaviour, one-dimensional [audience exposure]
Digital measurement (higher volume, where long-tale, multi-dimensional behaviour measured (audience exposure, interaction, consumer behaviour)
Panel (consumer)-centric Hybrid Measurement and Beacon Test
- Started in November 2008
- Panel Measurement + Beacons + Tags
- The consumer is at the centre of the measurement system
Use panels with what panels measure best, use beacons where they are best, etc.
Beacons provide IP address, timestamp, browser, cookie values, etc.
Tags used with video
- Develop techniques for incorporating beaconed site data into comScore Media Metrix data.
- By Jan 2009, 25+ companies over 300 domains involved. Hundreds of million beacon calls collected.
Non-Canadian traffic, approx 10%, is removed.
- Validation of beacon usage: Check for beacon representativeness, collection validation, process validation. Bots are filtered out
Measure the ‘last two feet’ between display interface and person
Raw census beacon
less international traffic
less IAB bots list
not in CFD
not essential domains removed
Beacon data is