On Tuesday, February 25th, Toronto held the first Digital Analytics Association (DAA) South Central Ontario Local Chapter event.
“Find the other islands and form an archipelago.” – Sharon Flynn, Director, Research at TVO and Chapter co-chair
Sharon’s analogy of connecting islands together illustrates how providing useful data to other staff (other islands) is an effective way to foster an analytics culture and increase your visibility within your organization. Sharon was part of a four-person panel at the event, moderated by Jen Evans, Chair of SqueezeCMM and the second chapter co-chair*, discussing the past, present and future of analytics. The discussion covered:
- Main factors currently impacting digital analytics and expectations for the future
- How to get people to focus on what matters, or as Jim Sterne would put it, “what is a KPI vs. an FYI?”
- Which is the best type of data? Quantitative, Qualitative or Ethnographic?
The panel included:
- Jim Sterne, Chairman of Digital Analytics Association & Founder of eMetrics Summit Conferences
- Ujwal Arkalgud, Director of Strategy, Sonic Boom
- Sharon Flynn, Director of Research, TV Ontario
- James Niehaus, Ensighten, Director of Analytics & Strategy
The discussion was live-tweeted – see the full discussion and follow: @DAAOntario
The launch was a huge success with 90 digital analysts, researchers, SEO/SEM specialists and digital marketing experts at the Centre for Social Innovation Annex (CSI) to learn what the DAA has to offer.
The DAA South Central Ontario Chapter will foster:
- A sense of community and opportunity to network locally with other digital marketers and analysts
- A friendly atmosphere to bounce ideas off of each other and have an opinion
- Professional development – it takes more than spreadsheets, tech savvy and math savvy to be an effective and successful analyst. Change management, communication and finance are just some of the other areas an analyst must develop capability
- A venue to learn more, develop and broaden skills
Interested in getting involved?
- Not a member of DAA? Find out more about the benefits of membership
- Existing DAA members can join the South Central Ontario chapter here
- There is a forum just for the Local Chapter on the DAA website, and there are already 30 members
- Interested in volunteering? Tell us on the forum, comment below or tweet to @DAAOntario
- Attend the Toronto eMetrics Summit – May 12-15
- The Chapter will be hosting a lunch event at the Toronto eMetrics Summit
- DAA members get 20% off all eMetrics Summits (one of the major benefits)
- For additional attendees who are not DAA members, use promo code CLICK15 to get a 15% discount on all 2-day conference passes. This discount applies on top of early bird and bring-the-team discounts
- The next South Central Ontario event will be announced soon!