If you have configured Custom Channel Groupings in Google Analytics, you may have noticed that they are not available when you connect to Google Data Studio. However, using calculated fields you can recreate your channel groupings directly in Data Studio.
Channel Groupings in Google Analytics allow you to group your traffic sources into buckets based on specified rules. The Default Channel Grouping uses system-defined rules to create Organic Search, Paid Search, Email and the other channels that you see in your acquisition reports. With custom channel groupings, you can define your own channels and specify the rules for each group.
Let’s look at how you can use a calculated field to create custom channel groupings in Data Studio.
Configuring Custom Channel Groupings in Data Studio
- In your Google Analytics data source, create a new calculated field.
- Insert the following CASE formula:
CASE WHEN ((Source="direct" AND Medium="(not set)") OR Medium="(none)") THEN "Direct" WHEN Medium="organic" THEN "Organic Search" WHEN (Social Source Referral="Yes" OR REGEXP_MATCH(Medium,"^(social|social-network|social-media|sm|social network|social media)$")) THEN "Social" WHEN Medium="email" THEN "Email" WHEN Medium="affiliate" THEN "Affiliates" WHEN Medium="referral" THEN "Referral" WHEN (REGEXP_MATCH(Medium,"^(cpc|ppc|paidsearch)$") AND Ad Distribution Network!="Content") THEN "Paid Search" WHEN REGEXP_MATCH(Medium," ^(cpv|cpa|cpp|content-text)$") THEN "Other Advertising" WHEN (REGEXP_MATCH(Medium,"^(display|cpm|banner)$") OR Ad Distribution Network="Content") THEN "Display" ELSE "(Other)" END
Each WHEN condition above defines a channel group based on the default channel definitions in GA. To adjust the definition of a particular channel, change the condition in the
WHENclause for that channel. To add a new channel, add another
WHEN ... THEN ...clause.
Note that the WHEN clauses above are processed in order. So, a given session will be grouped into the first channel definition that is matched.
Here’s an example of custom channel groupings created with data from the Google Merchandise Store:
Configuring custom channel definitions in Data Studio allows you to maintain consistency with your reporting in Google Analytics. If you would like to learn more about other calculated fields that can be used in Data Studio, see our blog post 5 Calculated Fields for Google Data Studio!
Related posts in the Data Studio Series:
1. Tracking Your Data Studio Dashboards in Google Analytics
2. How to Share a Data Studio Report
3. Google Analytics Dashboard Template for Data Studio
4. Calculating Goal Flow Conversion Rate in Data Studio
5. Adding Images to Your Tables in Data Studio
6. Embedding Links in Data Studio
7. Simple Visualizations in Data Studio
8. Calculating Percent of Total in Data Studio
9. Tips for Using RegEx in Data Studio
10. Data Studio Connectors from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
11. Audit Your Google Analytics Implementation with Data Studio
Leave A Comment