Data Studio’s native Google Analytics connector makes it easy to build customized reports and dashboards using your GA data. In just a few clicks, you can get access to the wealth of dimensions, metrics, and segments from your GA property.
There are however some limitations to how you can use GA assets in Data Studio. One obstacle many people encounter is that only one GA segment can be applied to a single chart. If you are a power user of GA, you’ve likely become accustomed to having the ability to compare up to 4 segments at the same time. This isn’t possible with the native segment functionality in Data Studio, but we have a solution!
In this post we’ll show how you can use Data Studio’s Data Blending feature to compare multiple GA segments on the same chart!
Comparing Multiple GA Segments on a Chart
In this example, we’ll create a time series chart that compares the trends of organic sessions vs. total sessions. The data we’re using is from the Google Merchandise Store demo account.
1. Create a chart with All Sessions
- Insert a time series chart of Sessions.
- Rename the Sessions field in the chart to “All Sessions”. (For reference, see Edit fields in your reports).
2. Create a chart with Organic Sessions
- Insert a second time series chart of Sessions (as in step 1a above).
- Apply the Organic Sessions segment to the chart.
- Rename the Sessions field in the chart to “Organic Sessions”
3. Blend the charts together
- Select both charts, right click on the selection, and select Blend Data.
Data Studio allows you to blend up to 5 data sources in the same chart, so this method can be extended to include up to 5 GA segments. It also applies to any chart type, not just time series. Combined with chart-specific calculations, you can also calculate ratios between segments (e.g. organic % of total sessions).
Below is a Data Studio report we built to showcase some of what’s possible using data blending with segments. Let us know what else you’d like to do with your GA data in Data Studio!
Related posts in the Data Studio series:
1. ClickInsight Data Viz Gallery
2. Exporting to PDF from Data Studio
3. Using Bookmarks Links in Data Studio
4. Keyboard Shortcuts for Data Studio
5. Creating Heat Maps in Data Studio
6. Using Charts as Interactive Filters in Data Studio
7. Creating Diverging Bar Charts in Data Studio
8. Creating Thumbnail Images of Data Studio Reports
9. Embedding URLs in Data Studio