When you configure a goal in Google Analytics, several metrics are generated automatically including Goal Completions, Goal Abandonment Rate, and Goal Conversion Rate. However, for goals that have a funnel, have you ever needed to calculate the Funnel Conversion Rate? i.e. what is the conversion rate for people who start the funnel?
The standard Goal Conversion Rate metric in Google Analytics is simply the ratio of Goal Completions / Sessions. So, if you have a goal funnel targeted at a specific segment of visitors, like new customers or prospects, the completion rate will likely get skewed by the rest of your traffic. You could apply an advanced segment to deal with this, but wouldn’t it be nice if you could make use of the existing funnel configuration?
A Goal Funnel Conversion Rate can be defined as the conversion rate for sessions in which the user started the funnel. Though this is not a built-in Google Analytics metric, we can calculate it in Google Data Studio using available GA goal metrics.
Calculating Goal Funnel Conversion Rate:
- In Data Studio, connect to your Google Analytics data source.
- Edit the data source.
- Create a new calculated field.
- Enter the formula:
Goal Completions / Goal Starts
- Note that you will need to select the Completions and Starts metrics for your respective goal, e.g. For Goal ID 1, choose Goal 1 Completions / Goal 1 Starts.
Here’s an example report using data from Google Merchandise Store. We have calculated the funnel conversion rate for the Purchase Completed (Goal 1) funnel and displayed it alongside the standard Goal Conversion Rate for comparison:
If you found this post helpful, check out the other posts in our Data Studio series:
1. Tracking Your Data Studio Dashboards in Google Analytics
2. How to Share a Data Studio Report
3. Google Analytics Dashboard Template for Data Studio
4. Adding Images to Your Tables in Data Studio
5. Embedding Links in Data Studio
6. Simple Visualizations in Data Studio
7. Custom Channel Groupings in Data Studio
8. Calculating Percent of Total in Data Studio
9. Tips for Using RegEx in Data Studio
10. Data Studio Connectors from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
11. Audit Your Google Analytics Implementation with Data Studio
If you have any questions, feel free to comment below!
See our upcoming 1-day in-class Data Studio course for your chance to learn more about calculated metrics, data visualization techniques, community connectors, and everything Data Studio.